Sunday, March 28, 2010

Let's Interview!

After scoring with the resume and cover letter, what is next? Interview!

On 15 and 16 March, the mock interview day has come. My dream job: C.E.O, which is kind of ridiculous for a fresh graduate but hey, that is truly my dream job so i was not ashamed to say it out.

I was last on the list of interviewees on that Monday. I waited anxiously for the interview, trying hard not to prepare my script for it. I wanted to be myself and score the interview. Waited from morning till afternoon, only to know that my interview is postponed to the next day. More time to prepare? Yes! :)

The next day, I came prepared. I groomed myself. Yes, I shaved my face, put on my make-up and wore a suit. I wanted to get the job no matter what, even when its just a mock interview. As i step into the room,  I was bombarded with all sorts of questions. Here is what i have learn:
  • First impression: I think i nailed this one (with my suit, tie, clean-shaved-round-face) as I was not booted from the interview. The interviewers (En Najmi and En Farizal) sent a few people out due to long hair, messy look, etc. 
  • Never assume you are smarter than the interviewer. Always try to listen before standing up for your points.
  • Body language. It gives out a lot of your secrets to them. How you fidget, move, sit will let them profile you even when you don't know any of it.
  • Never lose your cool. There is lots of pressure but try to remain calm at all times.  You may be bombarded from all angles but remember, you are here to get the job, not to win the debate. 

In the end, I did not get the job. I was classified as arrogant, stubborn, etc, etc by the interviewers. At that moment, i felt disgusted, annoyed, sad, depressed, angry and being somewhat emotional, i shed tears (like a cry-baby). Its a life changing experience which i will appreciate for the rest of my life because i know that the next time i have an interview, i will give it my 200%. So, the next time you people (interviewers) shoot me, I shall maintain my composure!  

No comments:

Post a Comment